halfacanuck

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily reflect my actual opinions.

August 24, 2004

Gnosticism

I was reading some more on Gnosticism today and found something fairly extraordinary, considering my previous post. Here's an excerpt from the Testimony of Truth, a Gnostic text contained in the cache of documents discovered at Nag Hammadi in Egypt in 1945:

But what sort is this God? First he maliciously refused Adam from eating of the tree of knowledge, and, secondly, he said "Adam, where are you?" God does not have foreknowledge? Would he not know from the beginning? And afterwards, he said, "Let us cast him out of this place, lest he eat of the tree of life and live forever." Surely, he has shown himself to be a malicious grudger! And what kind of God is this? For great is the blindness of those who read, and they did not know him. And he said, "I am the jealous God; I will bring the sins of the fathers upon the children until three (and) four generations." And he said, "I will make their heart thick, and I will cause their mind to become blind, that they might not know nor comprehend the things that are said." But these things he has said to those who believe in him and serve him!

Reading that kind of blew me away. Perhaps I'm thinking the right things after all. That said, I'm thinking them about 1,900 years after someone else did, so I guess I don't have too much to crow about ;).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home