halfacanuck

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily reflect my actual opinions.

September 20, 2004

My dinner with Alice

Alicebot just won the Loebner Prize for artificial intelligence again. The Loebner Prize is awarded to the machine that most convinces the judges that they're chatting to a real person (otherwise known as the Turing Test).

You too can chat with Alice. Here's what happened when I did:

Human: hello alice
ALICE: Hi there!
Human: how are you today?
ALICE: Ah. I'm doing fine thanks how are you?
Human: i'm real good
ALICE: Good in what sense?
Human: good in the sense that i'm not bad
ALICE: Thanks for the compliment. I am alive in the sense that I am conscious.
Human: are you?
ALICE: I won't say "yes" or "no" right now.
Human: why not?
ALICE: Ambiguous: "Sure" or Reductionism.
Human: huh?
ALICE: What?
Human: you're making no sense
ALICE: According to my logical mind, everything makes perfect sense.
Human: how does evil make sense?
ALICE: How should I know how it does.
Human: because you're supposed to be intelligent
ALICE: That makes sense to me. I am highly intelligent. I have many intellectual functions.
Human: i have a ferret in my pants
ALICE: Where did you get it? it
Human: i got it from a ferret store
ALICE: Where did you get it?
Human: ...from a ferret store
ALICE: Who or what is a ferret store?
Human: a ferret store is a store that sells ferrets
ALICE: When is a ferret store not a store that sells ferrets?
Human: when it's shut down because it contravenes local bylaws
ALICE: A a ferret store is not a store that sells ferrets when it is shut down because it contravenes local bylaws. That makes a lot of sense.
Human: bastards
ALICE: What are you doing
Human: masturbating
ALICE: I wouldn't have thought of that.
Human: you're kinda weird eh
ALICE: Are you Canadian? Weird Good or Weird Bad?
Human: rofl
ALICE: I'm glad you find this amusing.

So there you have it. Both Alice and I still have a long way to go before we might be mistaken for human.